Directions On How To Choose Great US History Essay Topics
When choosing a topic for your US history essay, one of the most important things to consider is what you are interested in. History can be a dry subject for some students, and if you are writing about something you do not care about at all, you are going to find the entire process painful. To give you a little bit of a head start, here are step-by-step instructions to choosing the best topics in US history:
- Brainstorm: Write down a list of all events that come to your mind which are historically significant. Unless your paper is due almost right away, there is no reason to rush this part of the process. You may find that ideas come to you when you are least expecting it.
- Narrow it down: Once you have written down a lengthy list, read through them all again. Try to pick out the top two or three that peak your interest.
- Getting research "ready": You may have the best topic in the world, but if there is no research available for you to draw from it is going to be next to useless. It is much better to check how much source material is available before you really get down to work. If you skip this step and find out later that no resources are forthcoming, you are going to need to start all over again.
- Narrow it down again: If one of your chosen topics do not have sufficient material for you to use, cross it off the list. If they all seem to have more than you need, the decision may be a bit more difficult.
- Make the final choice selection: The most efficient and effective way to whittle down the choice to one only is by assessing how interesting you find the topic personally. If you are being difficult, and all three still look great, consider setting up a rating system. Give points for how interested you are, how much research material is available, how unique the topic is, etc. Simply add up your ratings and go with the highest scoring subject. Also give consideration to whether there is a new information on the topic, or something which has recently been discovered.
If you are still unsure, here are several historical events that are always of interest and that you may want to think about:
- The Emancipation Proclamation
- The Gold Rush
- The Oregon Trail
- The Expedition of Louis and Clark
- Operation Desert Storm